At least five people have died in the last few hours in a series of attacks in downtown Kharkivaccording to information from local authorities in this city in eastern Ukraine, where apparently Russian troops prepare a major offensive. Another 13 people have been injured in the attacks, which occurred this Sunday, reports the Ukrainian portal ukrinform.
The General Staff of the Ukrainian army previously reported this Sunday that significant troop movements in the eastern regions and especially in the strategic port city of Mariupol.
The Russian military command imposed an ultimatum on the Ukrainian troops still in that Black Sea city to surrender, with guarantees that their lives will be spared.
Significant troop movements have been detected in the eastern regions
Said ultimatum expired at 0300 GMT without, according to Ukrainian sources, such surrender having taken place, while on the Russian side it is ensured that kyiv has forbidden its military to lay down their arms.
Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal assured this Sunday that Ukrainian soldiers they will fight “until the end” in the besieged city of Mariúpol, for which he ruled out the capitulation demanded by Moscow.
“The city has not fallen. Our soldiers are still there and they will fight to the end. For now they are still in MariúpolShmyhal said in an interview with the US network ABC. The prime minister said that some areas of Mariupol remain “under Ukrainian control”, while lamenting that the city is going through an “ehuge humanitarian catastrophefollowing the Russian siege.
Shmyhal assured that the citizens who remain in Mariupol “they have no water, no food, no heating or electricity“, and therefore called on Ukraine’s allies to “help stop” this crisis.
Shmyhal assured that the citizens who remain in Mariúpol “have no water, no food, no heating or electricity”
The Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ukrainian Defense Ministry states that the Russians have deployed up to 13 mobile crematoria in Mariupol to remove the bodies of murdered civilians from the streets.
The mayor’s office of the besieged city estimates that since the beginning of the Russian invasion they have died there 21,000 peoplewhile another 100,000 citizens are still trapped in Mariupol. Instead, the Ukrainian authorities estimate that some 120,000 civilians remain in the besieged city, defended by the Azov Regiment, the Marines and other forces.
The strategic Mariupolnext to the Sea of Azov, is one of the main goals of the Russians in their effort to achieve total control of the Donbas region and form a land corridor in the east of the country from the annexed Crimean peninsula.
This Sunday no humanitarian corridors have been opened for the evacuation of civilians from any of the Ukrainian regions under siege, after kyiv affirmed that the Russian side has not offered security guarantees for these operations.
Kharkov, the country’s second city, has been suffering from air attacks for days, one of which, on Saturday, hit the premises used by the NGO World Central Kitchen (WCT), founded by Spanish chef José Andrés, for its action of “solidarity kitchen”.
Kharkov, the country’s second largest city, has been suffering airstrikes for days
Four members of his team were injured, the director of the NGO, Nate Mook, reported through social networks. The team moved this Sunday to another location in the city to go ahead with its work of distributing food to the affected civilians.
The WCT has been active in different parts of the Ukraine since practically the beginning of the Russian invasion. Its founder, José Andrés, began his work on the ground in Polish cities where the first refugees arrived, to later move on to other parts of Ukraine