One year has passed since the collapse of the Mexico City Metro Line 12a tragedy in which 26 people died and more than a hundred were injured.
Relatives of victims and those affected by the accident went this Tuesday to ground zero where the accident took place, in the southeast of the city, where they placed various flower crowns for the anniversary and demanded justice and compensation for the damage.
“There are no words to express today. There is nothing to repair the lives of the relatives, the life of my son. What we want is to prevent another misfortune like this from happening tomorrow, but the Government is forget that we are human beings,” he said during the act Marisol Tapiamother of Brandon Giovanniminor deceased in the collapse of the subway.
Tapia is a member of one of the victims’ associations that is not satisfied with what the authorities of Mexico DF to seek a settlement agreement.
On May 3, 2021, an elevated bridge on line 12, in the Tláhuac mayor’s office in the Mexican capital, collapsed, causing a car to fall onto a road between the stations. Olive trees and Tezonco –in Tláhuac, southeast of the city– running aground in a “V” shape, an accident that left 26 dead and a hundred injured.
However, a year after the accident, no one has been imprisoned for the incident, although one of those investigated is Enrique Horcasitas, who worked in the management of now Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard, then head of the Government of the Federal District (2006-2012), and the first two years of the Administration of Miguel Ángel Mancera (2012-2018), now an opposition senator.
Ernestina Godoy, head of the Mexico City Attorney General’s Office, said on Monday that this day they would seek to charge 10 alleged culprits of the accident and shared that a “historic” reparation agreement had been reached with 90% of the victims.