The story of Kayla, kidnapped by her mother in 2017 and recovered thanks to a Netflix series

“I’m delighted that Kayla is safe at home”, assures the father of the minor who now asks for privacy for “the new beginning”. They need -explains in the Facebook account that has served to keep the search active- “meet again”. Ryan Iserka and his daughter, whom his mother took when he was nine years old, have not seen each other for six long years. Fortunately, the case has been resolved in the best possible way. But no one will pay them back for lost time.

On July 4, 2017, Heather Unbehaum picked up the little girl to take her camping. Kayla lived in Illinois with her father, who had won custody of her in court earlier this year, and the minor’s mother had the right to visit her a couple of times a week. A day later, Ryan went to pick her up and found that both had disappeared without a trace. From the beginning the authorities were clear that it was a parental kidnapping.

In fact, a few days later an arrest warrant was issued for the woman. But there has been no word from Kayla or her mother in all this time. Even so, Ryan’s persistence to find his daughter and the collaboration of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children of the United States have ended up paying off. In April, the organization released a portrait of what could the girl be like when she turns 15 old.

Solved case

The fact that the search was still active led to his disappearance being included in the last season of ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ from Netflix. Specifically, in a block dedicated to parental kidnappings. Something that has been key to locating the young woman. A follower of the mythical series, which collects cases of disappearances and real murders since 1987, recognized Kayla in a store in Asheville, North Carolina, after viewing the episode and contacted authorities.

6 years of searching

A police unit went to the place and was able to verify that the man was right. The same day, the girl’s mother turned herself in, was arrested and transferred to the Buncombe County Detention Center. She was set on $250,000 bail. At this time, the woman is released awaiting trial.

The father of the minor, who has been kidnapped since 2017, does not understand that the person who has caused them this suffering is on the street. But he feels lucky for the sweet outcome, which has allowed her ex-partner to be arrested after six years on the run and -more than anything else- to bring his daughter back home “safe and sound”.

Hence, Ryan wanted to “thank the South Elgin Police Department, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children of the United States and all the organizations that helped in his case” as well as “the followers of the page of Facebook ‘Bring Kayla Home’ which helped keep his story alive and were instrumental“in the unfolding of events.

Related articles

Jorge Almirón and the draw with Palmeiras: “We were superior”

The Boca coach, Jorge Almironmaintained that his team "was superior" to Palmairas and that they deserved to win in the match that ended goalless...

Professional development through podcasts: another way to listen

When we develop a process of change and improvement we always break a previous scheme. We do it because...