Iran blames the United States and Israel for the attack that left 95 dead

Iran accused Israel already USA of the attack that left at least 95 dead on Wednesday in the south of the country, where a crowd was commemorating the fourth anniversary of the death of General Qasem Soleimani.

“Washington says that the United States and Israel had nothing to do with the terrorist attack in Kerman, Iran. Really? (…) Make no mistake. Responsibility for this crime lies with the American and Zionist regimesand terrorism is just a tool,” said Mohammad Jamshidi, advisor to Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi.

The attack was carried out while a large number of people gathered to commemorate the fourth anniversary of the death of the Iranian general Qasem Soleimani.

Qasem Soleimani, an enemy of the US, was head of the Quds Force of the Revolutionary Guards, Iran’s ideological army, and was in charge of Iranian foreign operations, especially in the Middle East.

He was killed by the United States in a drone attack near Baghdad airport on January 3, 2020. Soleimani is considered a hero for his actions in defeating the Islamic State group in both Iraq and Syria.

Iran and Israel have been engaged in a kind of silent war for some time now. Last year, Iran was responsible for disarming alleged terrorist operations attributed to Israel. In July 2023, the Iranian intelligence services reported the dismantling of a network suspected of being linked to the Israeli spy organization and that was planning terrorist operations in Iran and even an explosion at the tomb of General Soleimani, as they explained. .

At the same time, in September of the same year, a member of the Islamic State group was detained in the Kerman city for organizing alleged terrorist operations.

The warning from Iran’s supreme leader after the attack: “This disaster will have a harsh response”

Regarding this week’s attack, there were two explosions with an interval of 15 minutes. As reported by IRNA, the official news agency, The first occurred 700 meters from Soleimani’s tomband the second one a kilometer away.

Although IRNA initially reported that the attack left 103 dead and television reported that 211 were injured in the attack, Bahram Eynollahi, Minister of Health, checked the figure and stated that “the exact number of deaths in the attack terrorist is 95”. At nightfall, the crowd returned to the site of the attack and chanted, “Death to Israel!” and “Death to America!”

Iran's President Ebrahim Raisi on January 3 condemned two explosions that killed at least 103 people in the south of the country, where crowds gathered to commemorate the assassination of General Qasem Soleimani.

The Islamic Republic declared a day of national mourning on Thursday and President Raisi condemned this “hateful” attack. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, on Wednesday promised a “tough response” to the “evil and criminal enemies of the nation.”

For her part, Zeinab, Soleimani’s daughter, gave her view of the events: “We condemn today’s bitter terrorist attack,” “I hope that the perpetrators of the crime are identified and punished for their actions.” Venezuela also condemned the attack and demanded that “those responsible for such repudiated acts be punished.”

Iran: a hundred deaths were recorded from two attacks

On his social networks, the diplomatic chief of the European Union, Josep Borrell, had a conversation with the Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian to whom he expressed his concern about the attack: “I condemn this terrorist attack in the strongest terms and express (my) solidarity with the Iranian people.”

Russian President Vladimir Putin called the attack “shocking in its cruelty and cynicism.” Iraq also defined this attack as a terrorist act. The European Union also expressed solidarity with the Iranian people. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres also condemned the attack and Hamas, an ally of Iran, denounced the “criminal attack.” For its part, the Saudi Foreign Ministry also expressed its support for Iran and expressed its “solidarity with Iran in this painful event.”

Faced with accusations about the attack, The United States disassociated itself from the attack. He stated that neither that country nor Israel are involved. Israel did not comment until the moment of the attack. The only thing army spokesman Daniel Hagari said is that they are focused on the fight against Hamas.

L.T.

Related articles

Luis Abinader declares himself winner in the elections in the Dominican Republic

VOA | May 20, 2024 The president of the Dominican Republic, Luis Abinader, is on his way to a second term with a large...

5.2 magnitude earthquake hits western China’s Xinjiang region without causing damage

An earthquake of magnitude 5.2 shook the western Chinese region of Xinjiang this Monday without any human or material damage being reported, reported the...

Slack confirms that it trains its machine learning LLMs with your data and to...

MADRID, May 20. (Portaltic/EP) - Slack has confirmed that it uses user messages to train non-generative...