Published on :
After the government’s decision to increase the price of fuel, new violence and looting broke out Friday in different cities in Haiti. Protesters went so far as to loot a UN World Food Program warehouse. The capital, Port-au-Prince, experienced its fourth consecutive day of violence
Haiti is sinking a little deeper into violence. New incidents, including looting, broke out on Friday, September 16 in different cities across the country. The government’s decision to raise the price of fuel has prompted many Haitians to demonstrate in the streets, some going so far as to loot a warehouse of the United Nations’ World Food Program (WFP).
This warehouse located in Gonaives, the third largest city in Haiti, housed 1,400 tons of food. He was targeted Thursday by protesters, while street anger was expressed in the capital Port-au-Prince and various other provincial towns.
In a statement released on Friday, WFP condemned the attack on its office and the looting of its warehouse in Gonaives, stressing that the food was intended for school meal programs and for the most vulnerable families and children in Haiti, a nation that sinks deeper into crisis every day.
“This incident is simply unacceptable. The looted food was supposed to feed nearly 100,000 schoolchildren until the end of the year,” said Jean-Martin Bauer, director of Pam in Haiti, quoted by the press release.
Scenes of looting were seen elsewhere in Gonaïves and Saint-Marc, two main towns in the Artibonite department. According to the daily Le Nouvelliste, the premises of the United Nations Office for Project Support Services (Unops), several congregational schools, a public university and several businesses were ransacked and looted.
Fourth consecutive day of looting in Port-au-Prince
The Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince recorded its fourth consecutive day of violence. Since Tuesday, protesters have attacked businesses and buildings housing public institutions.
Thursday, September 15, protesters attacked and looted the premises of the National Television of Haiti (TNH) and an office of the National Archives. Several stores, shops and other businesses were also looted and burned.
Between Wednesday and Thursday, the residences of two close to the government, the lawyer André Michel and the former senator Edmonde Beauzile, were ransacked and looted. The residence of Ricard Pierre, Minister of Planning and External Cooperation of the government, was also attacked. A press release issued by André Michel, one of these victims, confirmed these three attacks.
In a message published Friday, the UN Secretary General said he was “concerned about the situation in Haiti”, through the voice of his spokesperson. Antonio Guterres called for calm and the utmost restraint, urging “all stakeholders to take immediate action to de-escalate the situation, avoid violence and allow the National Police of Haiti to fulfill its mandate to protect the population. “, according to this press release.